Thursday, October 26, 2006

Pocket PC News Readers...

OK, I tried PocketRSS, Egress, NewsBreak, Spb Insight. I really want a cached reader so I can read as much as possible while on the tube. I also want to be able to read and synch news on both my mobile devices (SPV M600, Axim x51v) as well as my home and work PC.
NewsBreak fell out of the equation right away as it only gives headlines and doesn't cache the full article. Egress looked promising but suffered an annoying error screen every time I went to use the menu. PocketRSS looks hideous and was rather slow in downloading. SpbInsight WAS my favourite. Although at times it felt like a beta it does have a decent feature set and looks really good. It definitely had the best layout and clarity. However, at the last minute I stumbled across NewsGator Go!
Now in the past I've been a fan of Bradsoft (all two of their products before NewsGator took them over). So I was quite thrilled when I realised how easy it was to sink both FeedDemon, and Go! with the NewsGator web based server. It even keeps track of which items are marked read on the web server, so synching automatically carries that information to all devices. However, the Go! reader is simplistic. You can't add feeds and a number of other features are missing compared to the other candidates (Although adding feeds on a mobile device is a pain). I expect future versions will add more 'stuff' but as of now sharing feeds with all my devices really is a winner.

No comments: