Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Google Favourites

Interesting thing about my surfing behaviour but I put less time into recording favourite URL's and have started relying upon google to find a web site again (though I've started making the effort of using the distributed favourites list offered by del.icio.us .
This kind of reminds me of how ActiveWord works. I never really put the effort into using this tool that the author says it deserves but the idea behind it seemed fruitful and has appeared in a couple of places. It works by allowing you to summon an application using a semantically meaningful word for an application or website. For example, lets say you want to search google and no browser is open. Simply hit the Ctrl key twice, up pops an edit box at the top of the screen, and type 'google'. Lo and behold, ActiveWord fires up the browser ready to go with a google search page. Similarly, you could type in 'system', 'word' or 'excel' for the respective control panel applet or applications.
The author wants to reduce the gap between whats in peoples heads and the task they have to perform to get to the target application. Typing the name of the application or website is often (if youre an efficient typist) quicker than hunting up and down various menus.
I said this idea has appeared in a couple of places the first being that I no longer record as many favourite web site links. Instead I tend to remember semantic information (for example Quinny Speedi SX and kiddicare.com) which I then pump into google which recreates the association. This probably works because my first port of call is normally google whenever I go surfing so I'm recreating the search steps I took, but the effect is the same. I only have to remember semantic content instead of urls etc.
The second place I've spotted this notion is how the new google desktop search engine has included applications in the search box completion (appears when you start typing a word). So, typing 'system' will show the System Control panel applet has been indexed and can be started directly. The main difference between this and ActiveWord is that the latter is far more configurable as it can associate any name with an application or url etc.

Words have tremendously high semantic packing and we can expect more apps to exploit this concept in the ongoing future.

No comments: